Do you feel that you are self-aware? Understanding who we are, what we want and need, and what triggers emotional responses is key to self-growth.
How can you build self-awareness? Here are some ideas to get started:
- Recognize what you can and can’t control.
- Be mindful of your emotional limitations
- Sit with your thoughts. We tend to block out negative thoughts and emotions. Process what you are thinking and feeling.
- Take time before reacting. Think to yourself, will I feel this same way in an hour? Think about the following quote: “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” Victor Frankl
- Let go of expectations and judgment.
- Stay positive. Use affirmations, positive self-talk, and spread joy to others
- Don’t use other people as a coping skill. You are the only person who can control your emotions and decide what you need to feel better.
- Give grace to yourself and others. Work on forgiving yourself and others. We are all human and we make mistakes. Be kind and do no harm.